Section Menu

Fees and funding

Students in the canteen

Eligible Home and EU undergraduates can apply for affordable Student Loans

Home undergraduate students

All eligible full-time and part-time Home and EU undergraduate students are entitled to apply for affordable student loans towards their tuition fees covering the cost of their university education.

Home students may also be entitled to help covering their living costs such as accommodation, travel, food, books and entertainment by applying for a maintenance loan. This may be extended to EU students if they have lived in the UK or its islands for three years or more.

Tuition fee and maintenance loans for EU students are unaffected by Brexit for courses beginning in 2018/19.

Understanding student finance

Students paying tuition fees outright pay the University direct. Provided it's their first degree, new part-time students can also access government-subsidised tuition fee loans. See our section for part-time students below. 

The Student Loans Company is a non-profit making government-owned organisation set up in 1989 to provide funding. It is responsible for Student Finance England who pay the loans to students studying at UK universities and colleges. Read some key information from Student Finance England on what students need to do to receive their payments and learn more about tuition fees in our section below.

Scholarship opportunities

For eligible full-time undergraduate students joining us in the 2018/19 academic year we offer a generous package of financial support through our Access Bursary. Also read about our other scholarships on offer.

EU student eligibility

Some EU nationals may be classified as Home students and qualify for the same level of financial support as Home students. Please refer to the website to find out if your circumstances qualify you for this level of support.

The website has detailed information about qualifying for finance as an EU student. You can also download the UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) Guidance Notes "Tuition fees: will I pay the home or overseas rate?"

Tuition fees and maintenance loans for EU students are unaffected by Brexit for courses beginning in 2018/19.

International students

International students are not eligible for any UK funding. International students can read detailed information about fees and funding opportunities in the International section of our website. You can also check if you are considered as a home, EU or international student for fee-paying purposes on the UKCISA website. 

Funding for students with existing undergraduate degrees

If you already hold an undergraduate qualification (or the equivalent) you will not be eligible for support via Student Finance England for a second qualification at the same level. This applies to both full and part-time undergraduate study. The website has more details on eligibility criteria for student finance.

However, there are some exceptions. Students who have previously studied another undergraduate degree may be eligible to apply for a tuition fee loan for a second undergraduate degree in nursing, midwifery and allied healthcare. More information is available by reading the Council of Deans of Health page. This information relates to 2017/18. Information for 2018/19 will be available shortly.

Tuition fees

Home and EU full-time and part-time students

Please refer to our tuition fee regulations (PDF File 129 KB) for details on tuition fees. The 2018/19 tuition fee regulations will be available soon.

Tuition fees for the 2018/19 academic year remain at £9,250 for all new full-time Home and EU undergraduate students. Fees for individual courses are shown in our Course Finder.

Home or EU students studying for a part-time undergraduate first degree for the first time may be eligible for a non income-assessed tuition fee loan. You must be studying at an intensity of 25% of the full-time equivalent per year, taking no more than four times the time it would take to complete the course if studied full time, up to a maximum of 16 years. See the website for details of financial help for part-time students and full fee details are given in our Course Finder

Tuition fees are payable each year and loans are available at low interest rates to pay them. Apply direct to Student Finance England (SFE) for a loan for the amount you wish to borrow to cover your tuition fees and they will pay us directly. Any amount of tuition fee you do not borrow is payable at your published face-to-face enrolment session.

You don't repay the loan until you leave higher education and are earning over a certain amount – for UK employed students this is currently £25,000. When you're earning over this amount the loan is deducted from your salary as an affordable tax.

Download LSBU's 2017/18 leaflet on Fees and Financial Support (PDF File 988 KB). The 2018/19 leaflet will be available soon.

Employer sponsored students

If your employer will sponsor your study, there are two ways your fees can be paid for:

  1. Paid in full by your employer
  2. Paid in part by you, and in part by your employer

1. Paid in full by your employer

If your employer is paying for your course, they will need to complete our Tuition Fee Sponsorship Form (PDF File 798 KB). Please print off a hard copy and bring it along to your face-to-face enrolment session. See more information about how to pay.

Please note: you will remain personally responsible for payment of fees and charges, even where there is an arrangement for the University to receive payment on your behalf from a sponsor or other third party.

NHS London Strategic Health Authority contract students

Some students have their tuition fees paid via a contract LSBU has with the NHS London Strategic Health Authority (SHA). When you enrol or re-enrol, you need to confirm which Primary Care Trust, NHS Trust, Acute Hospital, Foundation Trust, Mental Health Trust or Ambulance Trust you work for, or will be spending your clinical placement with, as part of the LSBU/NHS London contract.

The University will validate the information you provide against the contract. You will remain personally responsible for payment of fees and charges, even if there is an arrangement for the University to receive payment on your behalf from a Strategic Health Authority.

2. Paid in part by you, and in part by your employer

If you and your employer are funding your course together, this will need to cover the cost of your tuition fees each year. You can apply for a loan for the part you wish to borrow for your tuition fees via Student Finance England (SFE), who then pay us directly. Any amount of tuition fees you do not borrow is payable at your face-to-face enrolment session - please see how to pay for more information. See our 2017/18 tuition fee regulations (PDF File 129 KB) for further information.

Possible fee changes

The University reserves the right to increase its fees in line with changes to legislation, regulation and any governmental guidance or decisions.

The fees for international students are reviewed annually, and additionally the University reserves the right to increase tuition fees in line with the RPIX measure of inflation up to 4 per cent.

Help with living costs

Advice on how to handle the costs of studying at university is available to LSBU's current students through the University's student portal, MyLSBU. It collates useful information about general living costs, health costs and council tax. For any specific advice before you apply to LSBU contact our Student Life Centre.

Student Loan for Maintenance

The Student Loan for Maintenance is based on an academic year of 31 weeks.

You may receive a proportion of the loan regardless of your household income. Another proportion is available depending on your household income.

The maximum loan to cover living costs in 2018/19 for LSBU's full academic 31 week year is:

  • £11,354 - for students studying in London and living away from their parents' home
  • £7,324 - for students living at their parents' home

Students enrolling on a part-time course of study on or after 1 August 2018 can apply for a maintenance loan. How much you get depends on:

  • Where you live while studying
  • Your household income
  • Your course intensity

The loan is paid directly into your bank account two weeks after the start of each term. You have to pay back the loan. You can apply for a maintenance loan as a distance learning student if you can't attend your course in person because of a disability.

Living cost payments

Maintenance loans are paid by Student Finance England at the start of each term.

See the Student Finance section on the website for full details.

Applying for tuition fee loans and other student finance

Once you have applied for a place on a course you should apply for student finance. Home and EU students on full-time and part-time undergraduate programmes can apply online at Student Finance England.

The online application process is fast and easy and you can track progress by logging onto the Student Finance England Customer Portal. You must supply your bank details and National Insurance number before your tuition fee loan can be paid to the University.

New EU full-time undergraduates should download and complete the application form on the Student Finance England website (external PDF)

Repaying student loans

Loans for tuition fees and living costs will be combined when you leave your course. You will not have to make any repayments on your loan until the April after you have completed your studies, and only then once your annual earnings exceed £25,000 per year (for UK employed students).

Different thresholds apply in different countries.

Your monthly repayments will be linked to your earnings.

Repayments are collected via your salary as another tax and are calculated at 9% only on any amount you earn above £25,000. For example, if your income is £29,000:

  • the 9% would only apply to £4,000 meaning you would repay just £30 a month
  • repayments stop if your salary drops below £25,000
  • any outstanding balance is written off after 30 years

For more details on repayments go to

The above details regarding tuition fees, maintenance loans and loan repayments are correct at the time of publication.

Further information

Top of page
Contact information
Top of page